Throat Cancer Treatment in India
What Is Throat Cancer?
Even though the number of Throat Cancer cases has been falling by 2 to 3% every year there are still over 600 million smoking population around the world out of whom more than 10 million are dying every year.
It is an alarming issue cause as per Government Statistics of Cancer, 1 out of every 3 throat cancer patients is dying. Even though the exact reasons for throat cancer are yet to be identified, cancer hospitals in
Hyderabad have given the following factors which can define Throat cancer causes as per their research:
- Excess tobacco usage
- Alcohol consumption
- Virus called human papillomavirus(HPV) which is caused by unsafe oral sex
- Improper diet
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD)
Throat Cancer treatment cost in India
Throat cancer treatment cost in India is comparatively low if you look at the cost in western countries like the USA, UK, Canada etc. In India, a cancer patient of second stage usually spends around Rs.150000 for radiation therapy, a patient diagnosed in the third stage has to go for chemotherapy by spending another Rs.70000
For an international patient it costs a little more if they get the treatment from one of the best throat cancer hospital in India as compared to Indian citizens. Despite this, the cost of cancer surgery is much lower than what it would cost them in the US or Europe.
Throat cancer treatment cost in India is dependent on the type of cancer and also on the city of treatment. Generally, metro cities like Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata, Delhi, etc. charge higher as compared to others due to difference in tax rates and quality of services offered.
The cost also depends on the following factors:
- Infrastructure of the hospital
- Facilities provided in the room(Single or twin sharing,deluxe)
- Quality of machines and equipment
- Fees of the surgeons
- Cost of living as per geographical location
- City of treatment
The quality of treatment also differs among various cities in India. Mostly people prefer Tata Memorial Hospital, which is one of the best cancer hospital in Mumbai providing excellent treatment over the years for various types of cancer, throat cancer being one of them.
For more specific details, read on:
- Cost of chemotherapy-Ranges from Rs.30000.00 to Rs.100000.00 as per medical condition
- Targeted therapy-Around Rs.2000000.00 for five to six sessions
- Radiation therapy-Around Rs.150000.00 per cycl
- Cost of PET-CT scan-About Rs.24000.00
- Breast cancer patients-Rs.200000.00
Now let me discuss about the various types of throat cancer,
Throat Cancer Types
There are two types of throat cancer:
- Adenocarcinoma– It is very rare in comparison, and occurs in the glandular cells.
- Squamous cell carcinoma–It occurs on the flat cells which are lining the throat.
Throat Cancer Symptoms
It is important to detect throat cancer at an early stage in order to prevent it from spreading to other parts of the body.
There are various signs and symptoms of throat cancer, some of them are listed below:
Difference in voice modulation
In case you have any of these for a period of more than two weeks, it is advisable to approach a specialist Doctor as soon as possible.
Provide Your Details,
and our staff will get in touch with you
Procedures for treatment of throat cancer in India
There are many new procedures which are used in some of the best throat cancer hospital in India to remove the whole tumour from the mouth without any change in speech. Procedures such as Transoral Laser Microsurgery(TLM) and Transoral Robotic Surgery(TORS) are widely popular among others such as Minimally invasive endoscopic surgery and Supracricoid Partial Laryngectomy used by throat cancer treatment in bangalore.
It is important to note that the cancer may return again after treatment so the Doctor should keep track of the same. Those who have been diagnosed with throat cancer need to stop smoking or consumption of tobacco in any form. Moreover, they need to avoid consumption of alcohol in order to cut down on risk of throat cancer.
The image below shows the seven types of cancer that is caused as a result of alcohol consumption.
Success rate of throat cancer treatment in India
- Throat cancer stages decide if it is easier to successfully remove it through surgery, it becomes difficult once it spreads beyond head and neck region
- Duration of throat cancer surgery-It may take around 2 to 3 hours as per the extent of cancer
- Approximate stay at hospital-3 to 4 days
- Risks associated-Infection, bleeding, nerve injury, skin irritation or discolouration, nausea, hair loss, fatigue
- The throat cancer may return, so a regular check-up is required alongside a proper nutrition plan
List of hospitals providing throat cancer treatment in India
In case you are looking for one of the best throat cancer hospital in India, here is a comprehensive list for your reference:
Apollo Hospital, Chennai, India
Address:New No.6, Old No.24, Cenotaph Road, Teynampet, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600035
Phone: 044 2433 4455
Apollo Spectra Hospital, New Delhi, India
Address: Near Kailash Colony Metro Station, Kailash Colony Road, Block A, Sector 19, New Delhi, Delhi 110048
Phone:1860 500 2244
Rockland Hospital, New Delhi, India
Address:Sector-12, HAF-B, Phase-1, Dwarka, New Delhi, Delhi 110075
Seven Hills Hospital, Mumbai, India
Address:MarolMaroshi Road, Andheri East, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400059
Phone:022 6767 6767
Artemis Health Institute, Gurgaon, India
Address:Sector 51, Gurgaon, Haryana 122001
Phone:0124 676 7000
Columbia Asia Hospitals, Bangalore, India
Address:Brigade Gateway, Malleshwaram West, Beside Metro Cash and Carry WestYeshwanthpur, Bangalore,Karnataka, 560055
Phone:080 3989 8969
Fortis Hospital, Noida, India
Address: Sector 62, GautamBuddh Nagar, Noida, Uttar Pradesh 20130
Phone:0120 430 0222
- What are the main causes of throat cancer in India? The major factors contributing to throat cancer are alcohol and tobacco. India is very high on tobacco consumption resulting in large number of deaths due to throat cancer. Apart from that, viruses and excessive radiation exposure also play a part.
- How do I know if I am suffering from throat cancer? It depends on the type and location of the tumour whether you see the signs of it or not. Some of the signs are unusual like bleeding, pain in the mouth, change in voice, ear pain, etc.
- How throat cancer is diagnosed in India? In case a doctor suspects throat cancer, he/she will order certain diagnostic tests which may include physical examination, blood tests, CT scans, X-ray, MRI, etc.What if I do not want to go for a surgery? There are many throat cancer hospitals in India providing treatments such as chemotherapy, radiation therapy and other alternative ayurvedic treatments. One amog them is Adyar Cancer Institute which is renowned as one of the top cancer hospital in Chennai
- Are there any side effects of throat cancer? Yes. There are many possible side effects such as mouth sore, saliva reduction, appetite loss, fatigue, bitter taste, loss of hair, vomiting, etc.
- How can I prevent throat cancer? Avoid intake of tobacco and alcohol as they are the most common causes of throat cancer in India.
- Which is the best throat cancer hospital in India? There are many throat cancer hospitals in India providing world class treatment. To decide, which one is the best for you, it depends upon your budget and the type of cancer you are suffering from. Moreover, it also depends upon the city of treatment. If you are a resident of the southern part of the nation then you can opt for cancer hospitals in hyderabad
Further Information for International Patients:
Comparison of throat cancer treatment in India with other countries:
There are many good throat cancer hospitals in India providing best medical treatment in the world. Moreover, throat cancer treatment cost in India is significantly lower than that in the foreign countries, many times it results in a saving of around 60%. You can get this treatment, without compromising on the quality of treatment and services.
Visa related services:
In case you are worried about getting a visa,the hospitals willassist you with that once you confirm your visit for throat cancer treatment in India. They will send a visa acquisition letter in your country to the Indian embassy. A copy of the same will be sent to you. In case you want them to provide this service, you are required to send the concerned throat cancer hospital the following details via email:
- Name of the patient
- Passport number of the patient
- Name and passport number of medical escort
- Country of residence
- Tentative arrival date for treatment
- Passport size photographs(10)
Many top throat cancer hospitals in India also arrange an airport pickup for International patients to escort you to the hospital or accommodation. You can always contact on the respective helpline numbers in case of any other queries or assistance.
They provide various facilities for your accommodation as per your budget. You can choose nearby guest house, service apartments, or luxurious 5-star hotels as per your convenience.
Special facilities and services
Some of the facilities provided by various throat cancer hospitals in India are listed below:
- Travel Accommodation
- Language interpreters
- Wi-Fi services
- Laundry services
- Currency conversion at the hospital
Many public as well as private insurance companies provide insurance cover for throat cancer treatment in India. It is important to discuss with your insurance company well before taking any decisions regarding hospitals and treatments.