Knee Replacement in Mumbai
Dr. Amin Shah's Sapna Health Care Centre Pvt. Ltd
Dr. Amin Shah - Provide Knee Replacement
1st Floor, Bhaveshwar Plaza, Lbs Marg, Ghatkopar West, Near Shreyas Cinema, Mumbai - 40008
MON - SAT 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Ortho Tech Clinic
Dr. Neeraj R Bijlani - Provide Knee Replacement
405, Shubham Atlanta, RC Marg, Chembur East, Opt Chembur Police Station & Near Tel Exchange, Mumba
MON-FRI 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM
SAT 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Sharvil Polyclinic & Rehabiliation Centre
Dr. Devanand D. More - Provide Knee Replacement
RSK Apartments, Shop No. 1, IC Colony, Near Silver Coin Restaurant, Borivali West-Mumba
MON-SAT 9:00 AM - 1:30 PM 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Spine Specialist Clinic - Private clinic of Dr Satyen Mehta
Dr. Satyen Mehta - Provide Knee Replacement
303, 3rd Floor, S. V. Road, Khar West, Platinum Building & Opt Khar Masjid, Khar West, Mumba
MON-WED-FRI 6:00 PM - 8:30 PM
TUE-THU 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Dr. Shreedhar Archik - Provide Knee Replacement
4, Shankar Niwas, Dadasaheb Rege Marg, Dadar West, Landmark: Opp Shiv Sena Bhavan, Mumba
MON-WED-FRI 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM TUE-THU 3:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Dr. Amit Mishra Orthopedic Clinic
Dr. Amit Mishra - Provide Knee Replacement
186, Inside Suchak hospital, Manchubhai Road, Malad East, Landmark: Opp. Hotel Manali, Mumba
MON - SAT 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Dr. Shabbir Suterwala - Provide Knee Replacement
204, Mehta Bhavan, R.R.M Roy Road, Charni Road East, Landmark: Behind Saifee Hospital & Opp. Hinduja College, Mumba
MON - SAT 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM
Dr Manoj Jain Clinic
Dr. Manoj Jain - Provide Knee Replacement
Gate No 4, Parel, Mumbai, Landmark: Opp K E M Hospital, Mumba
MON - SAT 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Dr. Hitesh Kubadia - Provide Knee Replacement
109, HKS Clinic, Prabhu Krupa, Sir Bhalchandra Road, Hindu Colony, 4th Lane Corner, Dadar East Mumba
Dr. Dinesh Kasture
Dr. Dinesh Kasture - Provide Knee Replacement
Oscar Multispeciality Hospital,,,Office No 15-16-17 1st Floor Pooja Enclave, Ganesh Nagar , Old Link Road, Kandivali West,Landmark:Near Hindustan Naka, Mumba
MON - SAT 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Knee which is the largest joint in our body has to be healthy to perform normal activities.
It may be difficult to perform everyday activities like climbing stairs or walking if the knee is damaged severely due to injury or arthritis. You may experience pain even while you are lying down or sitting.
When you do not find relief by medications and by using support for walking then considering total knee replacement surgery makes sense. The Knee-replacement surgery in india is effective and safe and it helps to correct the deformity in the leg, relieve pain and helps you to get back to your normal activities.
Mumbai is the commercial capital of India and it is leading in providing the best medical care in the country. It has the country’s top most medical centers and world renowned surgeons. There is an influx of national and international patients who consider Mumbai as the ultimate destination for their medical problems. The number of people getting knee replacement in Mumbai has increased. The increase in demand for new knees is due to more and more elderly population that wishes to remain active. Orthopedic surgeons in Mumbai for knee replacement surgery are in great demand as they help provide patients with greater mobility and get relief from pain.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Synovial membrane which surrounds the joint becomes thickened and inflamed; due to this inflammation the cartilage gets damaged. This may cause pain, loss of cartilage and stiffness.
- Osteoarthritis: It usually occurs in people above 50 years of age, but younger people also suffer from it. There is wear and tear in the cartilage that provides cushions to the knee bones. This causes the bones to rub against each other causing stiffness and pain.
- Post traumatic arthritis: Post traumatic arthritis- This happens due to serious injury to the knee. The articular cartilage gets damaged due to fractures in the bones near the knee or ligament tears in the knee and this can cause pain and limited function in the knee.
Right candidate for the surgery
People who opt for total knee replacement in Mumbai are:
- People who are suffering from severe pain in the knees or stiffness and due to this, everyday activities get limited such as climbing stairs, walking and getting in and out of chairs. Even walking for some distance causes pain and need the support of a walker or a cane.
- Having knee pain even while resting.
- Chronic inflammation in the knee and it does not improve even with medications and rest.
- There is deformity in the knee such as bowing.
- Different treatments such as cortisone injection, anti- inflammation medication, and physical therapy, lubricating injections or other surgeries fail to improve the condition.
People who mostly undergo knee replacement surgery are in the age group of 50 to 80. Even youngsters suffering from juvenile arthritis and older people with degenerative arthritis have been successfully operated upon. There is no fixed age and weight restriction required for opting for knee replacement surgery.
Orthopedic surgeon will evaluate several components such as;
- Information will be gathered about your general health, the extent of knee pain and the functions you are able to do.
- Next, he will replace attach metal implants at the ends of thigh and calf bones. A plastic spacer may also be used in between the metal pieces to ensure smooth movement of the new joint. The entire procedure may take 1- 2 hours to be completed.
- He will physically examine the knee to assess its motion, strength, stability and leg alignment.
- X-rays are done to determine the extent of deformity and damage to the knee.
- Even blood tests and MRI are done to determine the condition of the soft tissues and bones.
There is reduction in pain and improvement in the ability to perform daily activities in more than 90% people who have undergone knee replacement surgery.
The plastic spacer begins to wear off with use, excessive weight and activity may speed up the wear and cause the replacement to loosen and get painful. You are advised by the surgeon against indulging in activities such as jogging, running, jumping etc for the rest of your life.
People can indulge in activities such as swimming, unlimited walking, driving, biking, golf and other sports with low impact after the surgery. Knee replacement surgery can last for many years with proper activity modification.
Complications are minimum and uncommon but they can limit or prolong full recovery.
- Infection: It can occur around the prosthesis or in the wounds. Antibiotics are used to treat minor infections and major ones may need more surgeries and even the prosthetics may be removed.
- Blood clots: Most common complication in this surgery is blood clots in the veins of the legs. They can be life threatening if they reach the lungs after breaking free. To prevent this from occurring, the orthopedic surgeon may give blood thinners, recommend lower leg exercises or elevate your legs for better circulation.
- Implant problem: Implants wear down and may loosen, even the knee may be scarred and motion may become limited.
- Continued pain: It is not common but pain continues to persist in some patients even after the surgery.
- Neurovascular injury: It’s rare but the blood vessels and nerves around the knees can be injured during the surgery.
Before the surgery starts you will be administered general anesthesia or epidural, whichever works best for you.
The knee replacement surgery takes around 1 to 2 hours. The damaged bone and cartilage is removed by the orthopedic surgeon and then he places the new plastic and metal implants in position so as to restore the function and alignment of your knee.
You will need to stay in the hospital for some days. Medications to reduce the pain will be given by the surgeon, knee movement and walking will start soon after the procedure. To prevent blood clotting the surgeon may prescribe blood thinners and also encourage ankle and foot movement immediately after surgery.
The patients are made to exercise the knee from the next day after the surgery. Physical therapy is done to strengthen the legs and restore movement to the knee so that the patient can resume walking and start doing normal activities.
According to a survey 90% of knee replacements are still functioning even after 15 years of surgery.
Care to be taken at home
The orthopedic surgeon will provide you with a list of instructions you should follow at home after the knee replacement surgery.
- Wound care: Till the wound does not heal thoroughly avoid soaking it in water. The wound is kept in bandage to avoid irritation.
- Diet: Consume a balanced diet with supplements of iron as it helps to heal the wound and restore strength to the muscles.
- The knee replacement surgery takes around 1 to 2 hours. The damaged bone and cartilage is removed by the orthopedic surgeon and then he places the new plastic and metal implants in position so as to restore the function and alignment of your knee.
- Activity: Exercise is an important component for few weeks after the surgery. The patient should be able to resume their daily activities in around 3 to 6 weeks. Feeling of pain during night and while doing the activities is common and will last for several weeks after the surgery.
It is advisable that you choose your surgeon carefully and avail the best knee replacement in Mumbai.