Overview on Knee Replacement Surgery in India
Living an active life greatly depends on good knees. But due to arthritis, injury or osteoarthritis everyday activities like walking and climbing the stairs becomes difficult.
Knee replacement is a surgical procedure that restores the damaged, diseased and worn out weight bearing façade of the knee joint. This surgery is also known as knee arthroplasty.
People from far and near prefer knee replacement in India as it has earned a name for itself for being a top most destination for this surgery.
Knee replacement in India helps around 90% of people resume their basic daily activities such as walking, swimming and playing golf. This surgery which is relatively effective and safe is a boon for people who are bogged down with pain and inactivity. Due to high success rate, there is a high influx of patients coming for knee replacement in India.
Why do people prefer knee replacement in India?
Nowadays, more and more people are suffering from knee problems which affect the quality of life but with the advanced medical technology, they can overcome this issue. India is quite popular for this treatment for various reasons such as:
- There are several multi-specialty hospitals all over the country that provide excellent treatment for knee replacement in India. They have state-of-the-art infrastructure, dedicated staff and follow the international guideline for medical care and hygiene.
- You do not have to wait for a long period for getting appointing for consultation and treatment with top surgeons who are highly trained and experienced in providing knee replacement in India.
- Also, Indians are basically very friendly and helpful by nature and go out of the way to help other. Even, English is widely spoken so language is not a problem.
- Most of all, the cost of knee replacement in India is relatively cheaper than other developed countries. This is possible as the cost of living in India is low when compared to western countries and also the currency rates are lower.
- Hospitals provide personalized care with tailor-made services.
What is the cost of knee replacement in India?
The cost of total knee replacement in India is approximately between Rs. 200000.00 to Rs. 350000.00 for a single knee replacement. You will have to pay Rs. 400000.00 to Rs. 600000.00 for the bilateral knee replacement surgery done in a single sitting or Rs. 450000.00 to Rs. 650000 for the bilateral knee replacement done separately.
However, the cost of knee replacement in India will depend on various factors such as:
- Choice of the hospital – The cost of knee replacement in high-end hospitals is more as compared to other hospitals.
- Doctor's expertise – You will have to pay more for the services of doctor’s who are renowned and highly experienced.
- Additional costs – You will be charged extra for unexpected costs like admission to the ICU, treatments for post-surgical infections, additional hospital stay, etc.
- Type of implants used – You can choose from different type of implants which are available. The imported ones are costlier than the Indian ones and affect the total cost of knee transplant in India.
Given here is the cost comparison between various countries for knee replacement:
|Countries||Cost in Indian Rupees|
|India||Rs. 595000.00 ($8500)|
|USA||Rs. 2450000.00 ($35000)|
|United Kingdom||Rs. 1680000.00 ($24000)|
|Singapore||Rs. 1330000.00 ($19000)|
|Thailand||Rs. 840000.00 ($12000)|
What are the best hospitals for knee replacement in India?
- Fortis Hospital, Mumbai : It is the fastest growing hospital in Mumbai which has renowned surgeons who offer advanced treatment in all major-medical fields. Located in the prime location in Mumbai, it is accessible easily via rail, road etc. It has a specialized orthopedics and joint replacement department which is a pioneer in knee transplant and other knee related surgeries.
Address - Fortis Hospital, Mulund Goregaon Link Road, Mulund-West, Mumbai 400078
- P.D Hinduja National Hospital,Mumbai : P. D. Hinduja National Hospital is a super multi-specialty hospital with NABH accreditation. It is the leading hospital in all types of orthopedic and joint surgery. The orthopedic surgeons in this hospital is highly competent in knee transplant and the success rate of knee transplant is very high.
Address - P. D. Hinduja National Hospital, Veer Savarkar Marg, Mahim, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400016
- Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Institute,Mumbai : Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani has a high standard for all medical facilities with its focus on excellence in diagnostic facilities, clinical services and research activities. It has a specialized department for orthopedics and other joint surgeries.
Address - Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital & Medical Research Institute, Rao Saheb Achutrao, Patwardhan Marg, Four Bunglows, Andheri West, Mumbai 400053
- Manipal Hospitals, Bangalore : It is one of the best ranked hospitals in Bangalore with expertise in all major medical fields. The orthopaedic department in Manipal Hospital is the most capable in Bangalore and people from nearby cities also travel to this hospital to get treatment.
Address - H A L Old Airport Rd, Kodihalli, Bangalore, Karnataka, 560017
- Apollo Hospital,Bangalore : Apollo Hospitals is one of the prestigous hospitals in Bangalore and is present in three major locations in Bangalore.It is approved and certified by the Joint Commission International (JCI), USA for its excellence in medical services. It provides treatment in all types of orthopaedic surgerues The hospital provides advanced treatment and is preferred by even international patients because of its high class treatment and affordable services.
Address - Bannerghatta Road, Opposite IIM, Bangalore - 560076, India
- Columbia Asia Referral Hospital,Bangalore : Columbia Asia Referral Hospital is a major multi-specialty Hospital in Bangalore. It is a comparatively new hospital and within a short period of time it has earned a reputation as being one of the best hospitals in Bangalore. It has a very talented and experienced team of doctors who offer excellent treatment in all medical fields. Though the hospital is comparatively new the orthopaedic department offers treatment in all types of joint replacement,spine surgeries, knee transplant etc.
Address - Brigade Gateway, Malleshwaram, Beside Metro Cash and Carry West, Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore - 560055, India
- St. John's Medical College Hospital,Bangalore : St.John's Medical College hospital in Bangalore offers super specialty services to provide complete care. The hospital has a team of dedicated and highly competent members of the medical fraternity along with trained personnel who work with sophisticated state-of-the-art equipment. The hospital has 24 full-fledged departments to provide specialty and super specialty services which includes anaesthesiology, clinical psychology, dental surgery, emergency medicine, clinical nutrition, general medicine, dermatology etc.
Address - St.John's National Academy of Health Science, Sarjapur Road, Bangalore - 560034, India
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Delhi : BLK Super Speciality Hospital is an NABH and NABL accredited hospital in Delhi. The hospital has world-class technology and the best internationally acclaimed doctors to provide quality health care to all the patients. It provides sophisticated treatment specifically in orthopaedics and joint surgery
Address - BLK Super Speciality Hospital, Pusa Road, Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi, Delhi 110005
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi : Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals is one of the major hospitals in Delhi providing excellent service for about fifty two specialties. It is the first hospital in India to be accredited and certified by Joint Commission International (JCI) consecutively for the fourth time.
Address - Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Delhi Mathura Road, Near Jasola Apollo Metro Station, Sarita Vihar, New Delhi, Delhi 110076
- Max Super Specialty Hospital,Delhi : Max Super Specialty Hospital is one of the leading hospitals in Delhi.The hospital offers hi-tech infrastructure and provides world-class healthcare services with high success rate. They excel in providing procedures such as valvular heart surgery, kidney transplant, knee transplant , bone marrow transplant, bariatric surgery.
Address - Max Super Specialty Hospital, Press Enclave Road, Saket, New Delhi, Delhi 110017
When can you opt for this surgery?
You can think of having knee replacement in India when you are suffering from any of these issues:
- Having stiff knees
- Prolonged knee inflammation which does not get better with medication or rest.
- Constant knee pain even while resting
- When your daily activities are hampered due to severe knee pain
- Bowing of your legs
Different types of knee replacement in India
With the advancement of medical science and technology there are many different types of knee replacement surgery available in India. According to the condition of your knee and your general health, the orthopedic surgeon will decide which type of knee surgery is the best for you.
The artificial knee is mostly made up of three components – the tibial component (which is attached to the shin bone), the femoral component (which is attached to the thigh bone) and the patellar component (that’s the knee cap).
Types of knee replacement in India:
- Total knee replacement – This procedure requires the entire knee joint to be replaced as the different parts of the knee are damaged. The surgery involves replacing the joint surfaces of the top of the tibia bone and the end of the femur bone. Also, the undersurface of the kneecap is replaced by a smooth plastic dome. This surgery takes around 2 to 3 hours.
- Partial knee replacement – Here only the damaged part of the knee is replaced by using minimally invasive or reduced invasive surgery. The recovery time is quicker as a smaller incision is made. This surgery is suitable for older people as it is less stressful with a lesser risk of bleeding and less pain.
- Revision or Complex knee replacement - This type of surgery is needed when you are undergoing second or third replacement surgery on the same knee.Also, people with major bone loss, deformity, fracture or weak ligaments in the knee may need a complex knee replacement.Complex knee replacements have a longer stem so that it can be secured firmly into the bone cavity. The surgeon may use extra pieces of plastic or metal in place of badly damaged or removed bone.
- Minimally invasive surgery – Usually 8 to 12 inch incision is made during knee replacement surgery. But nowadays, surgeons perform minimally invasive surgery where 3 to 5 inch incisions are made. The patients have to deal with lesser pain and also the recovery is quicker.
- Bilateral knee replacement – If you are suffering from pain, arthritis or damaged cartilage in both your knees then you have the option of undergoing the knee replacement surgery in both your legs at the same time.
Things to be done before knee replacement surgery
Start preparation beforehand for knee replacement surgery in India as it will cause you less anxiety and help you recover quickly.
- Get all the information related to the surgery as it will help you decide and make a right decision. If you have any queries then ask your doctor as he will be able to guide you better and put all the fears to rest.
- Try and improve your health before the surgery as it will help you recover faster. If you have any infection in your body or gums then get it treated. To avoid any complications during and after surgery keep your diabetes and blood pressure in check. Inform your doctor beforehand if you are suffering from any heart problems.
- Make necessary changes in your lifestyle before the knee replacement surgery. If you are overweight, try to reduce your weight as it will decrease the stress on your new knee and help it heal quicker. If you are a smoker then try to stop smoking or cut down on it as it can slow down healing and recovery.
- Make a note of all the medications you take, your heath conditions, the name of your doctors and the people who can be contacted in an emergency.
Tests which are necessary before operation
The tests are prescribed by the doctor to determine whether you are eligible for knee replacement in India.
- Physical examination
- Complete blood count
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Coagulation test to verify that your blood clots naturally
- Metabolic analysis of your liver, kidney and electrolyte status
- MRI scan and X-rays are requested by the doctor so that the doctor can study the condition of your knee and choose the best surgical approach.
A week before the surgery, the doctor will ask you to stop taking aspirins and anti-inflammatory drugs so that postoperative bleeding complications do not arise.
Post-operative care at the hospital
After the knee replacement surgery in India, you are likely to stay in the hospital for 3 to 5 days.
- The day after your surgery you are made to stand and encouraged to walk with the help of the walker.
- You will be advised to use the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine after the surgery as it speeds up recovery and reduces pain and bleeding.
- The physical therapists will teach you how to position your knees and legs as the incorrect position may cause injury to your new knee. The exercise will help you regain full movement of the knee and leg.
- Special compression stockings are worn to improve blood flow and minimize the risk of blood clots.
- You are advised to move your ankle up and down so that it improves blood flow and decreases swelling.
- Blood thinning medications are prescribed to minimize the risk of blood clots.
- Before being discharged from the hospital you are expected to meet these goals:
- Get in and out of the bed and chair without help.
- Walk on a level surface with the help of a walker or crutches.
- Walk up some steps with help
- Able to bend your knee.
How much time does it take to recover from knee replacement surgery?
Probably you may stop using a walker or crutches within six weeks of surgery and slowly return to your daily routine. It is advisable to use a cane while walking and gradually walk without support. However, it may take around three months for the pain and swelling to subside.
The scar will heal with time and your muscles will strengthen with proper exercise. Avoid extreme movements and strenuous sports. You can drive when you are comfortable getting in and out of the car and can handle it properly. This usually happens by the fourth to sixth week of knee replacement in India.
Risks involved in knee replacement surgery
Basically, most of the people do not suffer from any major complications however listed below are some of the risks involved in knee replacement surgery:
- Pain and swelling – It is common to experience pain and swelling after the surgery. But the severity may vary from person to person. Usually, pain killers are prescribed to manage the pain for a short period. But if the pain persists for a longer period then other treatments may be recommended.
- Blood clots – Forming of blood clots called deep vein thrombosis in the legs is one of the biggest risks. They can break free and travel to the lungs and block the blood flow which can be life threatening.You can prevent clots from forming by wearing compression devices and moving your legs.
- Infections risks – There is always a chance of infection when there is an opening in the skin. The precautions are taken by the surgeon while operating to prevent infection but you should be aware of the signs of infection like swelling, redness, discharge from the operated site and fever and chills.If you have any of this symptoms then contact the doctor immediately so that he can prescribe antibiotics to overcome infection.
- Nerve and artery damage – This is highly uncommon but if a nerve or blood vessel gets cut by the surgeon during surgery, then a second surgery is done to rectify the damage. You may lose the feeling of sensation or movement due to the cut in the nerve and in rare cases, it might be permanent.
- Allergic reaction – In rare cases, people develop an allergic reaction to metal components used in the implants. They can cause an allergic reaction such as rashes, swelling or blisters.To avoid such a scenario, it is best to test for metal allergies before the surgery if your skin reacts to metal jewelry.
- Implant failure – Sometimes the new joint can wear out, loosen or lose its stability due to which you may experience constant pain or stiffness after the surgery.
In such cases, you will need to replace the joint with another procedure.
How can you increase the life of your knee replacement?
People who undergo knee replacement in India are usually advised to take the following precautions:
- Maintain your weight
- Avoid low seating
- Avoid excessive climbing of stairs
- Do not lift or push heavy weights
- Avoid high impact sports such as jogging, aerobics, etc.
- Do not kneel
What is the success rate of knee replacement in India?
The success rate of knee replacement in India is very high and nine out of ten people who undergo the surgery experience relief and are satisfied with the procedure. The replaced knee last for about 10 years for 90% of the people who have undergone the knee replacement surgery and it can last for more than 20 years for many patients depending on their health and activity level. Success rates vary from people to people.