LASIK in Bangalore:
Bangalore is one of the most sought after city when it comes to medical treatments and Lasik is no exception. In recent years Lasik surgery has garnered a lot of attention worldwide. People across the globe get their Lasik surgery from eye hospital in Bangalore so that they get the best eye treatment. There are best eye hospital in India for eye care.
What is LASIK eye surgery?
The most complex organ in human body is the eye. So it's very important to take proper care of your eyes, slight damage to your eyes can result in poor or permanent loss of vision. Lasik eye surgery is the most common eye surgery which is used to correct vision of people suffering from eye problems such as farsightedness (myopia), astigmatism, nearsightedness (hyperopia).
How to be prepared for LASIK eye surgery?
- Don't use eye makeup: Avoid using creams, perfumes, lotions or any eye makeup on or before the day of eye surgery. You might also be suggested by the doctor to clean your eyelashes often in order to remove the debris and minimize the risk of infection.
- Know the cost of your surgery: As the Lasik eye surgery is usually considered as elective eye surgery, many a times it is not covered in an insurance policy so you may have to pay the expenses out of your pocket.
- Stop wearing contact lenses: At least for a few weeks before the surgery you may have to stop wearing contact lenses and use glasses full time. Using contact lenses can distort the shape of the cornea which can further lead to inaccurate measurements or a poor surgical outcome. Depending on the situation and how long you have been using a contact lens your doctor may provide some guidelines.
- Make necessary arrangements to reach home: You might not be able to drive home immediately after the surgery, so you need to have someone to drive you home after the surgery.
Who are not the ideal candidates for LASIK eye surgery?
There are certain health conditions which can increase the risk associated with the Lasik surgery. Your doctor may not recommend Lasik surgery if you are suffering from any of the following conditions as these may increase the risk associated with laser surgery.
- If you are less than 18 years of age.
- If you are suffering from eye conditions such as eye injuries, keratoconus, uveities, cataracts or any lid disorders.
- If you are suffering from autoimmune disorders for e.g. rheumatoid arthritis.
- If you are suffering from unstable vision which might be caused due to medications, hormonal changes, breast-feeding, age or pregnancy.
It is not advised to go for LASIK eye surgery if:
- You have fairly good vision
- You are suffering from problems like presbyopia (an age related eye changes)
- If you have very large pupils or thin corneas.
Talk to your doctor before going for Lasik surgery in Bangalore about your questions and concerns. He or she can explain to you about how the surgery will help you and whether you are the right candidate for Lasik surgery.
What procedure is involved in LASIK eye surgery?
In Lasik eye surgery an ophthalmologist creates a very thin flap in your cornea either by using a blade or a laser. The flap is then peeled back and the cornea is reshaped by removing a specific amount of corneal tissue. This helps to reshape the cornea; this helps the light travelling through it to properly focus on the retina which is located in the back of our eye. Once the cornea is reshaped ,the flap is placed back into its original position where it heals automatically.
In case of nearsightedness LASIK is used to flatten a steep cornea while people suffering from farsightedness go for it to achieve a steeper cornea. This surgery can also correct an irregular cornea into a more normal shape in case of astigmatism.
Anyone opting for Lasik surgery in Bangalore should have realistic expectations. Though Lasik surgery help many people to perform most of the tasks without using corrective lenses, sometimes the patient might have to go for another surgery to get a clear vision. One should also be aware that Lasik cannot correct presbyopia, which is the age related problem in which you cannot see nearby objects.
What is the cost of LASIK eye surgery in Bangalore?
The Lasik eye clinics in Bangalore are well known for using advanced technologies. The clinics have highly qualified doctors and very well trained staffs. The cost of Lasik eye surgery depends on the technique of flap making and the type of the laser settings required. The exact cost is explained during the counseling. The rate of optimized Lasik surgery in Bangalore may range from 25000 to 35000 for both eyes.
What are the risks and side effects associated with LASIK?
Tough there are many benefits of Lasik surgery in Bangalore, there are some of side effects associated with it. Some people after Lasik eye surgery may have to go for another surgery or have to wear contact lenses/glasses.
Some of the side effects of LASIK are as follows:
- Dry eyes: Undergoing a Lasik surgery may temporarily decrease the tear production. This may further lead to dry eyes which reduces the quality of your eyes.
- Double vision: You may notice double vision or have difficulty driving at night. In rare cases you may also notice vision loss or changes. You might also notice haloes or glares around bright lights.
- Over corrections: In some cases the laser may remove too much tissue from your eyes. Fixing over corrections is more difficult than under corrections.
- Under corrections: In case of under corrections too little tissues are removed from your eyes, this may lead to unclear vision and may not give you the exact results that you hoped for.
- Flap problems: In Lasik surgery your flap is folded back from the front of your eyes, this can cause problems like infections, excess tears or inflammation.
- Astigmatism: Uneven tissue removal may cause Astigmatism. This may require additional glasses and contact lenses.
- Problem while at driving at night: You may also face vision problems while driving at night.
- Sensitivity to light: You might feel sensitivity to light, irritation in eyes, scratchiness.
What happens after the LASIK eye surgery?
Your eye may itch, burn, pain or you may experience a little discomfort immediately after the surgery, your doctor may suggest a mild pain reliever. You may also experience haziness and blurriness in your eyes.
Avoid rubbing your hair as it might dislodge the flap. You may also experience sensitivity to light, haloes, glares etc. However these symptoms will not remain for long time and should improve within few days of surgery. It is advised to meet the doctor immediately in case you experience severe pain or notice that the symptoms are getting worse rather than getting better. You have to again meet your doctor within the first 24 to 48 hours after surgery and also at regular intervals. Your doctor will remove your eye shield and test your vision. You will also get a prescription eye drops from your doctor to prevent eye infection.
According to a study, about 59% of people going for Lasik surgeries have no regrets having had the surgery while 3% regret having it. 53% reported initial side effects, while about 12% of the people had a second surgery to correct a problem or enhance the results.
If you are planning to get your Lasik eye surgery from Bangalore, it is very important to have adequate information about the clinics and surgeons before having the surgery done. The experience of the surgeon, qualifications, previous success rate etc also play a very important role in helping you find the best eye specialist in Bangalore.