The bone marrow transplant cost in India ranges from ₹ 15,00,000 ($20,929) to ₹ 40,00,000 ($55,816) depending on which transplant you are recommended.
The cost of bone marrow transplant (BMT) should come after your health and well being. Your health is at its most vulnerable at this stage of treatment. You need to find the best hospital that delivers not only transplant but also quality post transplantation services.
We know you’re undertaking a major procedure and the cost of it is very high. But let us assure you not only is bone marrow transplant cost in India highly-effective but it is also the best place to get your transplant as we have some of the most reputed hospitals as well as haematologist and oncologists who are specialists in BMT.
For your reference, below we have discussed in detail about the bone marrow transplant cost in India.
Here is an estimated bone marrow transplant cost in India by types (depending on the recommendation of your consulting oncologist):
|Types of BMT||BMT Cost In India|
(INR and Dollar)
|Autologous Bone marrow transplant||₹15,00,000 - ₹17,00,000 ($21,013 - $23,652)|
|Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant||₹25,00,000 - ₹30,00,000 ($35,022 - $42,027)|
|Haplo-Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant||₹35,00,000 - ₹40,00,000 ($49,031 - $56,036)|
*To be on the safer side be prepared for 5% to 10% variation on the estimated cost depending on your condition. These charges include hospital stay for a specific period, surgeon’s fees, operation theatre charges, anesthesia charges and meals for the patient and one companion.
You must be wondering why cost for bone marrow transplant differs in different types of transplant? Here are the factors which will tell you the reason why:
- Your condition : Depending on the type of cancer or disorder you have you’ll be recommended a type of transplant.
- Age : Age of the patient is also a factor that affects the overall bone marrow transplant cost. Treatment cost is higher for patients under 20 or pediatric patient. This is because their care and total stay in the hospital is usually higher.
- The type of transplant : As we know there are three types of transplant. Following are the different types of bone marrow transplants:
- Autologous Bone marrow transplant:
- Your own bone marrow is used for this type of transplant.
- Autologous costs less as compared to allogeneic transplant.
- Allogeneic Bone marrow transplant:
- Bone marrow from a 10/10 HLA matching donor (preferably a sibling) is used for this type of transplant.
- Cost is higher when it comes allogeneic because here you have to pay not only for yourself but also for your donor when comes to tests, facilities, lab works etc.
- Haplo-Allogeneic (Haploidentical) Bone marrow transplant:
- When bone marrow is used from a donor (your children, parents, sibling) that has partial HLA match to you.
- Cost is even higher in Haplo-Allogeneic transplant as the procedure is a lot more complicated so the cost and number of tests increases.
What could be the additional costs in BMT?
If you’re thinking of bone marrow transplant cost in India or anywhere else in the world be prepared to shell out money for post and pre- transplant facilities. As you have to additionally pay for the facilities that such as tests, chemotherapy, post-transplant monitoring etc.
And So that it does not comes as a shock to you when you’re in India, we have prepared a detailed guide of all the additional facilities you’ll be charged for.
First we want to discuss all the costs that come under pre-bone marrow transplant stage:
In this stage you will go through steps that are essentially preparations for the bone marrow transplant procedure. This is the most critical stage as it lays down the foundation for the treatment.
Following is a complete guide of not only all the necessary steps you will have to take before the bone marrow transplant but also discusses the costs you will incur during this stage:
For your convenience we have elaborated each and every step for the Pre Bone Marrow Transplant costs below:
Pre Bone Marrow Transplant costs:
|Pre - procedure tests and treatments||Cost Estimation|
|Health checkup||Physical examination and health check up with your doctor might cost around ₹600 ($8) - ₹5000($70)|
|All investigations||There are a number of investigations which will be required like a blood test, PFTs and RVG for the heart, Electrocardiogram (ECG), Chest and Dental X-ray, etc which will set you back by around ₹55,892 ($800) to ₹69,865 ($1000)|
|HLA typing is only required in case of an allogeneic/haploidentical transplant which costs around ₹80,000 ($1,112.53) additionally.|
|Chemotherapy||Cost of chemotherapy is approximately ₹1,04,797 ($1500) to ₹1,25,077 ($1800) per chemo cycle.|
You may also have to pay for Induction chemotherapy that will cost you approximately ₹1,38,974 ($2000) to ₹2,08,462 ($3000) .
|Radiation Therapy/ Radiotherapy||A rough estimate of the cost for Radiation treatment based on the procedure or technique can range between ₹1,66,770 ($2400) to ₹4,86,955 ($7000) depending on the package.|
|In case of allogeneic transplant, there are number of tests and expenses related to extraction of stem cells. This is more expensive in a haploidentical transplant.|
|Medication||Medication prescribed for your recovery.|
|Pre - operations cost||Pre-operations cost, medication costs, documentation costs etc.|
What costs come under the Post-bone marrow Transplant stage?
Once you are done with the transplant the work is not finished. There are steps taken to monitor the progress of the transplantation in a patient and to ensure recovery and keep infections at bay.
But in case of any problems, unanticipated monitoring, extended stay etc. requirements will be charged separately. This is not included in the transplant cost and hence it comes under post-transplant stage, that is:
For your convenience we have elaborated each and every step for the Post Bone Marrow Transplant costs below:
Post Bone Marrow Transplant Costs:
|Monitoring and requirements|
|Medications cost||There will be many expensive medicines prescribed to you after the transplant.|
|Any additional service availed||Any extended hospital stay and use of services|
|Other consultation||Any other consultation with your doctor and other consultations.|
|Complications management and unanticipated care||The cost for monitoring and treatment for complications management and unanticipated care is separate from the transplant cost.|
If for any reason you have stay beyond the stipulated period, you will be charged separately.
|Follow - up costs||After the transplant, you will have to follow up with your doctor regularly for your health check up.|
Why India has become the hub for bone marrow transplant ?
Bone marrow transplant cost in India with comparison to other countries:
|USA||₹2,47,36,250 - ₹ 5,65,40,000 ($350,000-$800,000)|
|United Kingdom||₹1,64,89,184 - ₹4,12,22,960 ($233,310- $583,275)|
|Germany||₹70,67,500 - ₹1,76,68,750 ($100,000-$250,000)|
|Turkey||₹35,33,679 - ₹70,67,500 ($49,999-$100,000)|
|India||₹15,00,000 – ₹40,00,000 ($21,013-$56,036)|
The reasons for variations in costs between India and other developed countries are:
1. Currency : Basically the Indian currency is lower than the USD, pounds, euro, etc. So obviously everything is cost effective here. Be it your stay, medical treatment or consultation, everything will cost you far lesser when compared to other countries.
2. Standard of living : Standard of living is quite low in India than the other developed countries such as USA. So the prices of facilities be it in the field of transport, overall stay, food and medical treatment are cost-effective.
3. Competition : There are many Bone marrow transplant center in India, so you have wider choice according to your budget of hospitals of your choosing. Since all of them have the BMT related technology and specialists with cost effective treatment.
4. Hospitals : Many hospitals in India, be it government or private, offer bone marrow transplant facilities. So, you have a wider option to choose by comparing the bone marrow transplant costs in India, as the prices may vary among them.
5. Doctor : Basically, here in India the doctors charge less compared to doctors in the other developed countries. This is one of the major reasons for the cost-effective bone marrow transplant price in India. However, the charges of doctor may vary according to their popularity, experience and the hospitals where they practice.
There are few other factors why getting bone marrow transplant in India is a good option.
Even though there is a huge difference in the amount compared to developed countries it does not mean Indian hospitals compromise in their quality.
Why you should get bone marrow transplant in India?
- You will find some of the internationally accredited BMT centers in India.
- Here in India the BMT doctors are extremely trained and experienced.
- Not only are they highly experienced but have also have participated and led various cancer and BMT centered research in countries like USA, UK, Canada, etc.
- The technology and infrastructure required for BMT is on par with the developed countries