The hip replacement surgery cost in India is around ₹75,000 ($1,100) to ₹3,00,000($4,500). This makes the hip replacement cost in India quite pocket-friendly compared to other western countries.
Hip replacement surgery cost depends on the types of hip replacement. There are two main types of hip replacement i.e. Total hip replacement and partial hip replacement which decides the cost of the surgery.
|Type Of Hip Replacement||Cost in Rupees||Cost in USD|
|Partial Hip Replacement||₹75,000 to ₹1,75,000||$1078.92 to $2517.49|
|Total Hip Replacement||₹1,50,000 to ₹3,00,000||$2157.85 to $4315.71|
There is a significant difference between the cost of Total hip replacement and Partial hip replacement surgery because, in Total Hip Replacement surgery, both your ball and socket joint are replaced with artificial implants.
Whereas, in Partial hip replacement Surgery only the ball joint of your hip is replaced.
However, the hip joint replacement cost in India may vary depending upon several factors, which we have discussed below.
What is the additional cost in Hip replacement surgery?
If you are planning to get your hip replacement done, then you must be ready to spend money on pre-treatment and post-treatment costs such as medical tests, physiotherapy, medicines, etc.
A. Pre-Hip replacement Surgery costs:
|Pre-surgery tests and treatments||Cost Estimation in Rupees||Cost Estimation in USD|
|Health Checkup||₹500 to ₹2000||$7 to $29|
|Joint aspiration||₹200 to ₹2,000||$2.87 to $28.78|
|Arthrogram||₹9,000 to ₹15,000||$129 to $215.8|
|MRI Scan||₹2,000 to ₹17,000||$28.78 to $244.66|
|CAT scan||₹2,000 to ₹5,000||$28.78 to $71.96|
|Bone Densitometry test||₹1,500 to ₹7,000||$21.58 to $100.74|
The average hip replacement surgery cost in India ranges from ₹1,50,000 to ₹3,00,000 depending upon several factors like the type of implant, surgery approach, etc.
B. Post - Surgery Cost:
|Post-surgery treatments and medicine||Expenses|
|Physiotherapy||₹250 to ₹2,500 ($4 to $36) per session|
|Medicines||After surgery, the doctor will prescribe you some medicines.|
Physiotherapy might cost you between ₹250 to ₹2500 per session, depending upon hospital and physiotherapist skill and experience.
After the surgery, the doctor will prescribe many medicines that might be costly.
What are the factors that affect the cost of hip replacement in India?
- Type of hip replacement: Hip joint replacement cost in India also depends on the type of hip replacement.
- Type of material used for implant: Nowadays different types of hip implants are available at different costs. The doctor recommends the type of implant on the condition of the patients.
- Type of surgery Approach: Hip replacement cost also depends on the surgery approach. Robotic surgery costs more than minimally invasive and traditional surgery.
- The city you select: Hip replacement surgery cost depends upon the city where you want to get your operation done. Cities like Mumbai & Bangalore will cost you more than other cities.
- Skill and experience of the doctors: Operation cost varies as per the doctor’s experience & skills, which increases the overall cost of hip replacement. Total hip replacement surgery costs more than partial hip replacement surgery as only one component is changed in partial hip replacement.
- Hospital of your choice: If you are going for hip replacement in a premium hospital then obviously charges will go up as per the services offered.
Cost comparison with other developed countries
The hip replacement surgery cost in India is much economical when compared to other developed countries in the world.
Take a look at the Hip replacement surgery cost in other countries.
|Country||Cost in USD|
* These costs may vary depending upon the implant you choose, hospital charges, type of hip replacement, etc.
As you can figure out by yourself, the hip replacement surgery in developed countries is very expensive and is not affordable for everyone. Whereas the hip joint replacement surgery cost in India is much affordable when you compare with other developed countries.
The cost of hip replacement in India is $4,000, whereas in USA it is $30,000.
Thus, we can say that not only the hip replacement cost in India is less as compared to other countries but also the quality of treatment and services provided here are excellent.
You must be wondering, why the cost of hip replacement surgery in India is less?
- Currency: As we know that Indian Currency is lower than the USD, pounds, and euro, so obviously this makes a difference and therefore cost of hip replacement is also less than other countries.
- Standard of living: As compared to other developed countries, the standard of living in India is comparatively low. Therefore the medical treatment, accommodation, traveling, foods and other facilities are highly cost-effective.
- Doctors: Doctors in India charge less as compared to doctors in other countries. The number of doctors is high in India and the other reason is the value of the currency in India. The country is blessed with world-class experienced doctors offering treatments at low costs.
- Competition: As we know, India is the HUB for affordable healthcare in the world as the competition has been rising worldwide. Many private hospitals have their battles to be the big name in this field.