Are you suffering from severe knee pain and it is difficult moving around? Then you should go for a surgery in India as Knee-replacement cost in India is affordable. Anthroplasty or knee replacement surgery is a procedure in which the damaged knee is resurfaced.
The kneecap and the end of bone that form the knee joint are capped with metal and plastic parts. People suffering from severe arthritis or intense knee injury may consider undergoing this surgery. The main aim of this surgery is to relieve knee pain which could not be controlled by any other treatments.
Pune is one of the fastest growing metropolises which has a vibrant and thriving population. Pune is the centre for business and education and it has experienced a vast change with the onset of globalization but has still retained its old world charm. Pune provides quality healthcare and is making great strides in that direction.
Young and old, anybody can suffer from knee pain. Every year around 15 million Indians get affected by osteoarthritis which is the leading cause of disability. It is necessary to keep the muscles and bones healthy to avoid pain and you could follow these guidelines given by orthopedic surgeon in Pune to avoid the pain:
- Do not lead sedentary lifestyle, keep yourself active.
- Keep your posture correct while sitting, working or driving.
- Extra stress is put on the joints and bones due to obesity so keep your weight in check.
- Avoid strenuous physical activity.
- Eat foods which contain vitamin D and calcium.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights.
If the pain persists then you can consult an orthopedic surgeon in Pune to get professional help and knee replacement in Pune is one of the options available which gives positive results and relief from pain.
Cost of knee replacement in Pune:
People who are planning to undergo knee replacement in Pune can choose from the best hospitals, state of art facilities and experienced surgeons. Even there is a vast difference in cost as compared to other metropolis. The cost of knee replacement in Pune is relatively cheaper than other cities. So, many patients visit Pune for quality treatment and difference in cost of the surgeries.
Causes for knee damage:
Knee joint is affected by different types of arthritis such as:
- Osteoarthritis:Older and middle aged adults are mostly affected by this degenerative joint disease which causes the joint cartilage and the adjoining bone to breakdown in the knee.
- Rheumatoid arthritis : This condition causes stiffness and pain in the knee due to inflammation of the synovial membrane.
- Traumatic arthritis : Injury and damage to the cartilage is the cause for this type of arthritis.
Irreversible damage is caused to the knee joint by torn cartilages, fractures and torn ligaments also.
Reasons for knee replacement:
Knee replacement in Pune is a major surgery and is recommended only when other options such as steroid injections and physiotherapy have not been able to make a difference.Knee replacement may be suggested if:
- The quality of life and sleep is interfered by the chronic knee pain.
- Stiffness, pain and swelling in the joint have reduced your mobility.
- Everyday activities such as walking, shopping, climbing stairs has become difficult.
- Socializing and working has become impossible.
Risks associated with knee replacement surgery:
Complications in knee replacement surgery are low but in some cases the patient can experience the following complications:
- Infection in the wound.
- Knee replacement getting deeply infected and needing another surgery.
- Damage to the artery, ligament and the nerve around the knee joint.
- Bleeding in the joint.
- Continuous pain in the knee.
- Deep vein thrombosis or blood clots.
If the replaced knee is not stable completely then another surgery may be required to correct it. The replaced knee can wear out with daily use and the risk of failure is higher if the joint is stressed with excessive weight and high impact activities.
Examination before the surgery:
Orthopedic surgeon will take into account the patient's medical history and examine them physically so that he can assess their strength, stability and the motion of the knee.
Even X ray is done so as to determine the damage caused to the knee. Routine tests are also done to rule out complications and the doctor may stop certain medications before the surgery.
Safety at home
- Install handrail in the bathroom.
- Get a chair which is stable with firm cushion seat and back. A footstool may also be needed.
- Remove cords and loose rugs.
- If the toilet is low then they will need a toilet seat riser.
- They will need a stable stool or chair for their shower.
Knee replacement surgery:
This surgery takes about two hours. The patient will be given general anesthesia or epidural anesthesia before the surgery. The orthopedic surgeon will make an incision and remove the damaged surface of the joint. Then he will prepare the surface of the joint and attach the artificial pieces of the joints and close the incision.
Post - operative treatment
Physical therapist will help the patient to exercise the knee the next day after the surgery. The patient will be asked to move their ankle and foot so as to prevent blood clots and swelling. The doctor might prescribe blood thinners as a precaution against blood clotting. The doctor will instruct the patient regarding the exercise, diet and wound care. Positive attitude and enthusiasm for recovery in the patient plays an important part in the outcome of the surgery.
Knee replacement surgery provides relief from pain, better mobility and an improved quality of life. Daily activities can be resumed gradually after 3 to 6 week.
It takes about three months to return to full activities after the operation. Golf, walking and swimming are activities which can be engaged after the surgery but activities such as jogging and jumping should be avoided. Majority of the patient walk without a limp and do not even need a cane for support. Knee replacement surgery
is highly successful and they last for more than 15 years. The outcome of the surgery greatly depends on the experience of the surgeon. The doctors who are specialists in knee replacement surgery have shown better results and have fewer complications.